I decided I needed to create a sausage pasta recipe while I was contemplating what meal I could create that would keep the whole family happy. Now that the summer is here, there is a definite preference for the adults to have salad instead of vegetables. However, my kids will not eat a salad for dinner. One will eat some tomato, one will eat some cucumber, but as a general rule, I could not set them down a salad for a meal.
I refuse to make separate meals for the kids. I know lots of people do it, but I never have and I’m not going to start now. The answer generally involves pasta. This way the kids can have a high carb meal that includes vegetables, and Mr C and I can have a little pasta with our salad.
Before I had children I always made my own pasta sauce. I had tweaked the ingredients until I had the perfect recipe. I don’t remember exactly what went in it, and back then I didn’t feel the need to write everything down! I do recall it involved a large slug of red wine! Now the kids are here I aimed for something simpler!
I think I did a pretty good job. Mr C returned home from work, and the first thing he said was, “Something smells good!” And everyone from my hubby to the toddler cleared their plates!
Sausage Pasta Recipe:
- 350g pork sausages
- 1 x beef stock cube
- 1 x tablespoon of cornflour
- cooking oil for frying
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 x onion sliced
- 1 x red pepper sliced
- 2 x garlic gloves – crushed or finely chopped
- 300g dried pasta shapes
- Slowly fry the sausages in a saucepan until they are turning brown, then chop them into large pieces.
- Add the onion, pepper and garlic to the sausages, and fry gently for about 10 minutes on a low heat.
- Add the tin of chopped tomatoes to the frying pan, and allow it to simmer.
- Dissolve the stock cube in about 100ml of boiling water.
- In a seperate cup, mix the cornflour with about 50ml of cold water, making sure no lumps remain.
- Stir the cornflour mixture into the beef stock, and then add the liquid to the pan.
- Let the sauce simmer while you cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
- When the pasta is ready, drain it, and a gently stir it into the sausage and sauce mix.
A really easy, tasty, sausage and pasta dish! Do let me know what you think if you try it!